Founder, Wilbur Hot Springs, Inc.
Richard Louis Miller, M.A., Ph.D., reopened Wilbur Hot Springs in 1972 to revitalize the ancient healing method of Balneology—the therapeutic use of natural hot mineral waters. The aim was to combine the safety and security of the Wilbur environment with a modern personal health philosophy emphasizing dignity and respect for all, effectively creating a Sanctuary for the Self.
As the Founder of the internationally acclaimed Cokenders Alcohol and Drug Program, Dr. Miller integrated his techniques of humanistic psychology and psycho-physical fitness training with social model rehabilitation. During the 1980s, he helped detoxify over 1,500 individuals from their addictions at Wilbur Hot Springs. None of his patients were medicated or hospitalized during their residential treatment at Wilbur and Dr. Miller believes the therapeutic qualities of the mineral hot springs and the Wilbur environment significantly aided in his patients’ recovery.
Dr. Miller’s innovative approaches to healing have been the subject of national news reports, including television segments by Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather, David Brinkley and Phil Donahue, features in Time, Newsweek, and US News & World Report, two film documentaries, and the book Gestalting Addiction.
In order to share information with the general public, Dr. Miller co-authored a weekly news column in the San Francisco Chronicle in the 1980s and co-hosted a weekly radio program that was syndicated to 16 stations in California.
Dr. Miller has presented his work at national conferences of the America Psychological Association, the American Academy of Psychotherapists, and the White House Conference on Drugs. He has also served as a consultant to the California State Assembly and the U.S. Office of Juvenile Justice.
Dr. Miller has spent the last 50+ years studying, teaching, researching, administering and practicing psychology, health education, psychotherapy and Executive Consulting. His experiences include:
- Fellow, United States Public Health Service
- Faculty, University of Michigan , Ann Arbor
- Faculty, Stanford University
- Founding Board of Directors, California School for Professional Psychology
- Founding Board of Directors, Gestalt Institute for Multiple Psychotherapy
- Founder and Director, Cokenders Alcohol and Drug Program
- Consulting Psychologist: Haight Ashbury Medical Clinic
- Consultant: California Assembly
- Consultant: United States Department of Justice
- Advisor: President’s Commission on Mental Health
- Advisor: California Governor’s Council on Wellness and Physical Fitness
- Vice President, Parkside Medical Services Corporation
- 1st Vice President, Board of Directors, Mendocino Art Center
- National Board of Directors, Marijuana Policy Project (MPP)
- Board of Directors, Fort Bragg Senior Center
- National Safety Officer, International Defensive Pistol Association
- Board of Directors, Redwood Practical Shooters